OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The AIRF is seeking qualified candidates for the positon of African Cultural Instructor for the ACE Academy beginning the first week of September. If you know of someone who is qualified and interested in this position please give them this job description and have them contact Waheedah at 301-860-0316
and or email me ASAP. We are also seeking a Program Manager for the CUP program and volunteers are always welcome.
Enrichment Support Position Description
Program Summary and Job Purpose
The African Immigrant and Refugee Foundation (AIRF) in partnership with the Montgomery County Collaboration Council for Children, Youth and Families is seeking an experienced, competent and caring individual to work with the 21st Century Community Learning Center (21st CCLC) program for school age youth. This individual will support the implementation of the academic and cultural enrichment programs as well as practice supporting positive social and emotional growth through character education and service learning. This is a part time position (12 – 15 hours per week).
· Work with program leadership and staff to implement the African Arts, Culture and Education Academy (ACE Academy) afterschool program located at Park Montgomery in Silver Spring, MD and Essex House in Takoma Park, MD.
· Work directly with school age youth on homework and enrichment activities.
· Plan and implement character education activities based on African cultural knowledge from African literature.
· Engage youth in a service learning project.
· Collaborate with program staff and project partners to ensure program quality and service delivery.
· Work with program staff and evaluators to complete required reports for Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) (start-up report, mid-year report, community, staff, student and parent surveys, continuation report, MSDE site monitoring visit, on-line report, external evaluator report), as well as the Youth Program Quality Intervention (YPQI) School-Aged self and external assessment.
· Meet regularly with program staff.
· Attend required MSDE meetings.
· Maintain records as needed for program administration.
Education and Training
· Some postsecondary training related to youth development, recreation, human services or education field required. Two years of college preferred.
· At least two years of experience in youth services, family support or K-12 educational setting.
Skills and Experience
· Knowledge of African cultures and literatures.
· Experience working with children in grades K-5
· Experience and competencies in working in a multiracial, multicultural environment.
· Must possess strong judgement with a demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks with competing priorities.
· Able to tactfully manage confidential information and situations with efficiency.
· Bilingualism in English and Amharic desirable.
· Self-motivated individual passionate about children and youth.
· Ability to interact professionally and effectively with school and community leaders, staff and parents.
· Positive attitude.
Salary and Benefits
· Competitive salary, position continuation contingent on availability of grant funding.
Interviews for qualified applicants will continue until position is filled.
The African Immigrant and Refugee Foundation is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, Veterans status, or any other classification required by applicable law.
Waheedah Shakoor, Ed.D
Chair Board of Directors
African Immigrant and Refugee Foundation
11350 Baroque Road
Silver Spring, MD 20901
Category: EVENTS, NOTICEBOARD