Make me running mate, Wanjiru tells Sonko as Kenneth threatens to quit

| May 1, 2017 | 0 Comments

Bishop Margaret Wanjiru looks on as Senator Mike Sonko receives his nomination certificate to vie for Jubilee's Nairobi governor ticket from secretary general Raphael Tuju. /MONICAH MWANGI

Bishop Margaret Wanjiru wants Mike Sonko to name her running mate after losing to him in the Jubilee Nairobi primaries.

Sonko won the Jubilee ticket with 138,185 votes, while Wanjiru only managed 7,654 votes. Peter Kenneth a distant second with 62,504 votes.

Sonko will face off with ODM’s Evans Kidero in the August 8 polls.

Wanjiru said she has an MoU with Sonko to be his running mate in the general elections.

“I want to categorically state that we had an MoU with Mike Sonko that whoever wins the nominations would pick the other as running mate. This is a deal he has no otherwise but to honour,” she told journalists on Sunday.

She said if Sonko fails to honour the agreement she will run for the governor seat as an independent candidate.

Wanjiru was recently arrested and charged for storming into the City Park polling station during Jubilee primaries.

She claimed she had found ballot papers of Dagoretti South in the station which is in Karura ward, Westlands constituency.

“I am calling upon the National Elections Board to repeat the elections for City park market polling station since the exercise at this station started at 3pm and we have now found ballot papers for Dagoretti here,” she said.

She was detained at Kileleshwa Police station, then admitted at Nairobi Hospital after she fell ill.

On his part, Kenneth dismissed Sonko’s victory hinting he will also vie as an independent candidate.

Kenneth while speaking at St Stephen Anglican Church Jogoo Road claimed he had been asked to kneel before powerful government operatives if he wanted to win.

He said he will not concede defeat to Sonko if his appeal before the party’s tribunal is overruled.

“The entire process was a total farce, it is not yet over until it is over; we are waiting for the decision by the appeal tribunal on Tuesday after which once through we shall make the next move,” the former Gatanga MP said.

The 2013 presidential candidate accused Sonko of transporting voters from Machakos and Kitengela and taking them around poling stations where they voted multiple times.

-the-star.co.ke

Tags: ,

Category: KENYA NEWS, NEWS

Leave a Reply