Video: Uhuru, Ruto,Kalonzo and Tuju make jubilant entry in Eldoret
ELDORET, Kenya, Jan 27 – Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta said on Friday he is now a free man having relinquished the Finance Ministry docket, and will have more time to traverse the country seeking votes in his quest to succeed President Mwai Kibaki.
Speaking at a peace rally at the Eldoret 64 stadium a day after stepping aside from the plum job following pressure from the civil society over his ICC indictment, Kenyatta said he would not drop his presidential ambition and warned those agitating for this to respect the wishes of Kenyans.
“Today I want to tell members of the civil society and the media thank you for agitating for my stepping aside. I stepped aside and now I am a free man. I will have enough time to tour the country,” Kenyatta said, vowing that he must be on the ballot in the next general election.
ELDORET, Kenya, Jan 27- A day after vacating office as Finance Minister, Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta arrived to a heroic welcome in Eldoret, the home turf of William Ruto with whom he is facing crimes against humanity charges at The Hague.
The two were in the company of Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka and more than 50 Members of Parliament, who are allied to their parties.
They saluted their jubilant supporters as their motorcade made its way to the packed Eldoret 64 Stadium where more than 2,000 people had been waiting since 10am. The politicians arrived a few minutes after 2pm.
Kenyatta, Ruto and Information Minister Samuel Poghisio rode in the same vehicle from where they waved to the crowd. Journalist Joshua arap Sang, also indicted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had arrived earlier and took a seat at the VIP section of the dais.
The VP followed, alone in his official four-wheel drive vehicle waving to the crowd, but he did not ignite jubilation as did Kenyatta and Ruto who were cheered as they entered the stadium.
“I am very happy to see them (Kenyatta/Ruto). They have suffered a lot of humiliation after the (ICC) indictments. We want to tell them to remain united, this ICC thing will come to an end,” Robert Kipchilat, a supporter in the crowd said.
It was the first time that Kenyatta was appearing in public since ICC judges indicted him alongside Ruto, Sang and Francis Muthaura who stepped aside on Thursday from the powerful post of Head of Civil Service.
“I do not believe they are guilty at all, these charges put (sic) on them by Ocampo are mere fabrications. There is no way they could have planned violence in Kenya,” Lucy Chepchumba, who was hawking cakes and sodas at the stadium said.
Joseph Ng’etich, a businessman in Turbo said he too does not believe in the Ocampo charges.
“Let’s pray for them, I am confident they will overcome the challenges,” Ng’etich said.