DEVOTION:You Have The Privilege and Opportunity For Greatness!
Before the Kingdom of Israel split, there were three kings: Saul, David, and Solomon. After the Kingdom was split into two, the Northern Kingdom had 20 kings, and the Southern Kingdom had 20 kings before the people of each kingdom were sent into captivity. All the Kings of Israel (the Northern Kingdom) did evil in the eye of the Lord, following the ways of Jeroboam. And Judah (Southern Kingdom) had only 8 Kings who did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, following the ways of their Father David.
Each one of these kings beginning from Saul had an opportunity for greatness. But only David achieved this greatness because he was a man after God’s own heart. Not only did each one of them have an opportunity for greatness, it was also a privilege to be king over God’s people. Listen to how God describes His disappointment over one of the kings of Israel.
Then the word of the LORD came to Jehu son of Hanani concerning Baasha: “I lifted you up from the dust and appointed you ruler over my people Israel, but you followed the ways of Jeroboam and caused my people Israel to sin and to arouse my anger by their sins. 1 Kings 16:1-2
Judging from God’s description, nobody could have chosen Baasha to become King. But God raised him up and appointed him ruler over His people Israel. He could only become somebody because of God’s hand in his life. But, in spite of this favor from the Lord, Baasha followed the ways of Jeroboam, instead of following the ways of the Lord like King David.
No wonder why God’s punishment seems to be very harsh. Like Jeroboam, God wiped out Baasha and his family from the face of the earth.
So I am about to wipe out Baasha and his house, and I will make your house like that of Jeroboam son of Nebat. Dogs will eat those belonging to Baasha who die in the city, and birds will feed on those who die in the country.” 1 Kings 16:3-4
What we should not miss is this: Baasha and all the other kings had the opportunity to be great like King David. They also had a rare privilege to be rulers over God’s people.
- Do you know that it is a privilege to serve the Lord?
- I have observed believers and sometimes we think we are doing God a favor in serving Him. The truth is, not at all. God does not need us. We need Him. God does not need us in order to accomplish His purposes. But He has chosen to use mankind so that in the process, this becomes a channel of blessing for us.
- It is also important for us to know that none of us is indispensable in His service. He can accomplish his purposes using anyone who is available and ready to be used by God. You have a choice to make. Do you want to be part of what God is doing or not?
- Serve God faithfully! It is a privilege not a right.
- Do you know that you have privileges as a Christian?
- Are you aware that there are people around the world who do not know the one and only true God? There are people who worship idols or part of God’s creation as their god?
i. This should humble you
ii. You should also realize you are what you are today because of God’s grace.
- Have you considered the magnitude of what it means to be a child of God? That is to be part of the family of God.
i. Do you understand what it means to call the Creator of the universe “Abba Father?
ii. Have you experienced the loving care of your Heavenly father?
- Do you know the impact of knowing that you are a foreigner in this world because your citizenship is in Heaven?
i. Have you considered how that changes your perspective on things here on earth?
ii. How has this truth help you in the past?
iii. Can you apply this truth to your life today?
- Christ said to His disciples, “I will be with you until the end of the age”.
i. Have you experienced the comfort and confidence this promise brings into the lives of Christians?
ii. Do you live your life conscious of this promise?
- Are you aware that each one of us has been given at least one angel that guides and protects us wherever we are? Read the following:
i. Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation? Hebrews 1:14
ii. See that you despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 18:10
- Most of you who are reading these devotions do not face any threats from other religions or government. But at least one of the readers (and may be others who get forwarded these devotions) are in a closed country where becoming a Christians is choosing between life and death.
- The point is this; the majority of us Christians can worship God freely without fear.
- Most of us also have access to Bibles in our own languages or in a language that we understand. There are Christians who do not have even one Bible. Some have only parts of the Bible.
- How are you using this freedom of worship?
- How much do you value your Bible and how often do you read it?
- Do you also know that you have an opportunity for greatness in the Kingdom of God?
- You have an opportunity to be on the list of the heroes of faith like the one in Hebrews 11.
i. I am sure there will be a section of the heroes of faith in Heaven
ii. Will you be in that section?
- You have an opportunity to be the greatest in the Kingdom of God. Just do what Jesus Christ told his disciples.
i. He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:2-4
ii. The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Matthew 23:11-12
iii. What are you doing today to achieve greatness in the Kingdom of God?
- You also have an opportunity to be a man/woman after God’s own heart like David.
- You must have a zeal for God like David
- You need to thirst for God’s Word like David
- You need to desire to dwell in His presence like David
- You need to love God’s Word like David
- Can you come up with more of the characteristics that made David a man after God’s own heart?
- You can also be a friend of God like Abraham
- What did Abraham do to become a friend of God?
- What can you do to become a friend of God?
- God can also talk to you like He talks to a friend, just as He spoke to Moses.
- This depends on your level of relationship with God.
- This is not beyond possibility.
Since you are a child of God
God is your father
You belong to the family of Heaven
Therefore your citizenship is in Heaven
You have angels taking care of you daily
Guess what else is in store for you?
Read: 1 Kings 16:1-7
Marked: 1 Kings 16:1-2
YOU HAVE THE PRIVILEGE AND OPPORTUNITY FOR GREATNESS!
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto