At least 63 people have been killed and 35,000 more displaced by floods following heavy rains that have pounded some parts of the country, Deputy President William Ruto has said.
Mr Ruto also ordered the military to participate in evacuating affected persons.
So far, Turkana, Marsabit, West Pokot, Tana River, Kisii, Migori, Garissa, Mandera, Isiolo and Kilifi counties have been largely affected by the floods.
Mr Ruto was speaking at the Moi Air Base, Nairobi where he flagged off relief food worth Sh100 million which were airlifted to flood victims.
“It is unfortunate that we have lost 63 people as of today (Thursday) due to floods and about 35,000 have been displaced across the country. The government is fully in-charge and we have asked citizens in areas prone to floods to move to higher ground. All government officials have also been mobilised to ensure that citizens are given information in good time,” he said.
Mr Ruto said the military will airlift the relief food to Merti, Garbatula and Tana River areas which have been cut off by the floods.
“Food will be airlifted from Nairobi and Garissa. We have government army choppers in Isiolo that will ferry food to the areas which have been cut off,” he said.
The government has so far distributed 4,000 bags of maize, 14,000 bags of rice, 6,800 of beans, 2,100 cartons of cooking oil, 100 bales of food supplements for children, 2,300 blankets and 450 cartons of soap, all valued at Sh100 million.
In order to solve the recurrent floods menace, Mr Ruto said that the government is soon going to table the Disaster Management Bill in Parliament.
“We have to eliminate guesswork and trial and error in the management of disasters in our country. A sessional paper will be tabled shortly in the House so that the National Disaster Management Authority is set up with clear mandate on how to manage national emergencies in the country,” he said.
The government promised to meet the funeral expenses for the bereaved families.