DEVOTION:THERE IS ALWAYS A SANBALLAT ON THE WAY!
After Nehemiah had surveyed the wall of Jerusalem, he shared his vision with the officials.
Then I said to them, “You see the trouble we are in: Jerusalem lies in ruins, and its gates have been burned with fire. Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, and we will no longer be in disgrace. Nehemiah 2:17
In addition to sharing his vision, Nehemiah shared with them how God had demonstrated his support for this work.
I also told them about the gracious hand of my God on me and what the king had said to me. Nehemiah 2:18a
The official’s response was very encouraging to Nehemiah, for they were ready to get on board.
They replied, “Let us start rebuilding. Nehemiah 2:18b
As we all know, anytime one tries to do something good and noble, there is always opposition. Nehemiah’s noble act was not exception. We are going to see that not everyone was cheering them for doing this noble work. Earlier in verse 10, the opposition had expressed disbelief that someone was actually looking out for the interests of the city of Jerusalem.
When Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official heard about this, they were very much disturbed that someone had come to promote the welfare of the Israelites. Nehemiah 2:10
Later, when they saw that Nehemiah and his team were progressing with the work, Sanballat and his group had this to say:
But when Sanballat the Horonite, Tobiah the Ammonite official and Geshem the Arab heard about it, they mocked and ridiculed us. “What is this you are doing?” they asked. “Are you rebelling against the king?” Nehemiah 2:19
But Nehemiah was forthright in his response.
I answered them by saying, “The God of heaven will give us success. We his servants will start rebuilding, but as for you, you have no share in Jerusalem or any claim or historic right to it. Nehemiah 2:20
As we will see later, this opposition group was persistent until the wall was complete.
- Anytime you set out to do something for the Lord, expect an opposition. There will always be a Sanballat ready to oppose God’s work.
- But you must look beyond circumstances or any human beings who causes or becomes obstacles on the way. Remember the real enemy behind all these activities is the devil. Sad to say, but this is the truth, the devil will not always give us a free ride in doing God’s work. He will always set himself up to oppose God’s work.
- This is why we can never do this work with our own strength. We need the supernatural power. We need the guidance and protection from God. For this reason, prayer is an indispensable weapon we must always use.
- Are you facing any opposition today? You are not alone! All Christians are or have faced the same enemy in one way or another. Call on God to give you victory. The worst mistake you can make is to run away. Then, you will have given victory to our enemy.
- How else has this passage spoken to your life today?
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
1 Peter 5:8-9
THERE IS ALWAYS A SANBALLAT ON THE WAY!
Read: Nehemiah 2:11-20
Pastor Shadrack Ruto