DEVOTION:SIN WILL HINDER YOUR PRAYERS!
In the second part of chapter 2, Malachi moves from the sins of the priests and begins to mention the sins of the people of Judah. These are the sins of unfaithfulness. But what got my attention is what sin does to your prayers.
First he says the people of Judah have been unfaithful to one another.
Do we not all have one Father? Did not one God create us? Why do we profane the covenant of our ancestors by being unfaithful to one another? Malachi 2:10
Secondly, Judah has been unfaithful by marrying foreign women who worship other gods.
Judah has been unfaithful. A detestable thing has been committed in Israel and in Jerusalem: Judah has desecrated the sanctuary the Lord loves by marrying women who worship a foreign god. Malachi 2:11
Then he declares the punishment of the one who commits this sin.
As for the man who does this, whoever he may be, may the Lord remove him from the tents of Jacob —even though he brings an offering to the Lord Almighty. Malachi 2:12
Thirdly, he mentions how these sins hinder prayers. He begins by describing the frustration of those who have committed these sins.
Another thing you do: You flood the Lord’s altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer looks with favor on your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands. Malachi 2:13
Then he explains why they have these frustrations at the altar.
You ask, “Why?” It is because the Lord is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant. Malachi 2:14
- Did you know that sin hinders prayer? Here is how Isaiah records what the Lord says about it.
Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:1-2
- You cannot bribe God with any size of offering so that He can overlook your sins and answer your prayers.
- Nothing else will remove your sins accept for confession of your sins. John the apostle gives us this directive:
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
- May be you have been wondering why God has not answered your prayers. Could it be that you are living in sin and you are expecting God to still answer your prayers? It is clear from this passage and other passages of scripture that sin hinders prayers. Be advised therefore to confess your sins so that if God does not answer your prayers, then you know that it has nothing to do with your sins.
- God is Holy and cannot tolerate any sins. This is why in the prayer that Our Lord Jesus Christ taught the disciples, he included the following as part of our daily prayer:
Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. Matthew 6:11-12
- Is there any other way that this passage has spoken to you today?
Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save,
Nor his ear too dull to hear.
But your iniquities have separated you from your God;
Your sins have hidden his face from you,
So that he will not hear.
SIN WILL HINDER YOUR PRAYERS!
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto