DEVOTION:MAKE THIS YOUR DAILY OBJECTIVE!
In the previous chapter, the Lord stated that the people of Judah had wearied Him, and yet they would not admit. Instead they asked, “how have we wearied you?”. The Lord clearly explained to them how they had wearied Him. The following is how this dialogue developed.
You have wearied the Lord with your words. “How have we wearied him?” you ask. By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the Lord, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?” Malachi 2:17
In today’s passage, we encounter the same thing. The people of Judah spoke arrogantly against the Lord.
You have spoken arrogantly against me,” says the Lord. Malachi 3:13a
But as we saw in the previous chapter, they still did not admit their guilt here either. Instead, they ask the Lord what have we spoken arrogantly about you?
Yet you ask, ‘What have we said against you? Malachin3:13b
The Lord responded with this elaborate explanation of their arrogant speeches.
You have said, ‘It is futile to serve God. What do we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the Lord Almighty? But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly evildoers prosper, and even when they put God to the test, they get away with it. Malachi 3:14-15
But there was a remnant in the Land of Judah who did not spoke arrogantly against the name of the Lord.
Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. Malachi 3:16a
While we are not told what they said to each other, it must have been so good that it caused a positive reaction in Heaven.
A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name. Malachi 3:16b
We can deduce from this statement that part of what the remnant said demonstrated their fear of the Lord and was honoring to Him.
- Imagine talking with your fellow believers, and whatever you were saying about the Lord caused an incredible excitement in Heaven. Then out of the blue moon, you hear a voice saying, “Heaven is rejoicing because of what you were saying about God. The Lord God has commanded a memo to be written in remembrance of you. Be encouraged! Heaven is pleased with you.” Imagine that kind of scenario! The truth is this, although no one hears any voice coming from Heaven, but based on this verse, this is what happens in heaven daily. Anytime believers say good things or truths about the Lord, heaven rejoices.
- After all, for us believers, this should be our daily goal. We should strive to give God glory in whatever we do or say. Memorized the following passages of scripture for they give a clear guide for us.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
- It should not be a surprise to any of us that every conversation we engage in is heard in heaven. Even better, it is also recorded as evidence for the judgment day. Now that should scare you!
- So what did you say in the last 24 hours?
- How do you think heaven responded to it?
- Think before you said anything is a good advise for all us.
- Just in case you did not get this in the previous devotions, here is a prayer you can adopt as a daily prayer. This was King David’s prayer.
Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3
- How else has today’s passage spoken to your life?
Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other,
And the Lord listened and heard.
A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence
Concerning those who feared the Lord
And honored his name.
MAKE THIS YOUR DAILY OBJECTIVE!
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto