DEVOTION:SATAN CAN USE YOUR LEGITIMATE NEEDS!
After fasting for forty days and forty nights in the wilderness, Jesus was understandably very hungry.
After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. Matthew 4:2
Yet this is the time Satan saw an opportune moment to entice Jesus Christ into satisfying this legitimate need of hunger through the wrong means.
The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread. Matthew 4:3
While Jesus’ real need was food, Satan not only points to this need but he challenges Christ to demonstrate that He is the Son of God by performing a miracle of changing stones into bread. Was Satan in doubt of who Jesus was? Definitely not! Was Jesus desperate to prove Himself to Satan? Definitely not! Before Satan was thrown out of heaven, he was the leading angel. Because of this, he knew Jesus face to face. There is no indication that Satan lost his abilities when he was thrown out of heaven. In fact, God only limits his power. It is obvious one of the reasons for this temptation was Satan’s desire to gain authority over Christ.
Jesus’ response to this first temptation is as follows:
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4
Notice that Christ did not attempt to prove that He is the Son of God. He went straight to the need that Satan was aiming at enticing Him to fulfill using the wrong means. This is very interesting! Satan, in challenging Christ to prove that He is the Son of God, intended to sidetrack Christ’s focus. But Christ knew exactly what Satan was trying to do. So he answered Satan by showing him what is written about hunger.
- Next time you have a need in your life, watch out for the enemy. He will always try to suggest ways to meet your needs in ways that are not glorifying to God. His goal is to get you to rebel against God.
- What are some ways that Satan will try to entice us to sin by trying to satisfy our needs? Here are a few:
- If you are told to wait for a month in order to get what you need bases solely on your birth date, Satan can suggest changing your birth date in order to get what you want on the same day.
- If a policeman stops you for speeding while driving and the only way to get out of it is by telling a lie, which one will you choose? Satan will say lie!
- For those who are not married, Satan will say to you, why wait! Satisfy your legitimate physical needs now. God knows that you are human and have these needs.
- I know you can come up with more scenarios.
- You need to count the cost of immediate satisfaction against that of waiting for a legitimate way of satisfying your need. Satan’s aim is for you to do it now!
- Is it possible that you have a desperate need today for which the enemy has presented an alternative way that leads to sinning against your God? If so, call on God for help and ask Him to rescue you from this temptation. Do not try to handle this by yourself.
- In what other ways has this passage spoken to you?
Jesus answered, “It is written:
Man shall not live on bread alone,
But on every word that comes
From the mouth of God.
When you have a desperate need
SATAN CAN USE YOUR LEGITIMATE NEEDS!
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto