DEVOTION:SOMETIMES IT APPEARS THE ENEMY IS WINNING.
Sometimes it appears that the enemy is winning over believers, so that we wonder whether he has also won against our God. While this is contrary to the truth, at times we are forced to think in these terms. We are led to ask, “Where is God? Has He lost Control over the situation?” In reading this narrative of the birth and childhood of Our Lord Jesus Christ, one cannot avoid thinking, where is God in all these? His birth was planned and initiated by God from eternity past, yet after He was born; the enemy seems to be succeeding in disrupting His childhood.
But of course God outwits the enemy for He knows his thoughts and plans. After the Magi had completed their mission of worshipping the King of the Jews, God sent His angel to warn Joseph the father of Jesus concerning the evil intentions of King Herod.
When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him. Matthew 2:13
After the death of Herod, God sent a message to Joseph to return to his home country, Israel.
After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt and said, “Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child’s life are dead.
Joseph was very obedient and definitely very excited to go back to his homeland.
So he got up, took the child and his mother and went to the land of Israel. Matthew 2:21
But then, this happened again!
But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee, and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. Matthew 2:22-23a
Matthew says this was also a fulfillment of prophecy
So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets, that he would be called a Nazarene. Matthew 2:23b
If this were happening to any man, we would probably be saying this is part of the curse of sin to this world. But this is happening to the King of Kings! His father in heaven was in full control. This is why sometimes, it seems the enemy is winning.
- Although sometimes it appears the enemy is winning, we know that ultimately victory belongs to our Lord and us. From the Birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ to His death on the Cross-, the enemy tried to interfere and stop the hope of the world in Christ Jesus, but he was defeated at the cross, and was given an ultimate defeat when Christ overcame death. Throughout the history of mankind, Satan, our enemy has appeared over and over again that he is winning, but the Lord has proven a winner over and over.
- May be today the enemy seems to be winning in your life. It might seem in all circumstances he has you cornered. Take courage! Victory is ours. You might have to run to your Egypt like Joseph and the baby Jesus, but you will ultimately overcome the enemy. Hold on to Jesus.
- The story of Joseph the son of Jacob is a very good illustration for our lesson today. The selling of Joseph to Egypt by his brothers was an evil act. And it appeared the enemy was winning. But then this very evil act is the same act that God used to take Joseph closer to the fulfillment of his dreams. While in Egypt at Potiphar’s house, Joseph faced another evil act, which was orchestrated by the wife of Potiphar. This led to Joseph’s imprisonment. This is was, indeed, an evil act! And again, it appeared as though the enemy was winning. Yet it is this evil act that God eventually used to propel Joseph to realize his childhood dreams.
- So if you are facing unfavorable circumstances today because of what the enemy has done, take courage. God may use the same evil act to bring a blessing to your life.
- In other words, what you are facing today might actually be what is needed to propel you to the realization of your dreams. Do not reject or curse God thinking that He has abandoned you. Remember Joseph remained faithful to God in spite of the unfairness and evil actions he experienced. In the end, God proved faithful and rewarded him.
- Yes! It might seem that the enemy is winning in your life. But like Joseph, God is working out something good for you.
- Though it appeared the enemy was winning against the upbringing of our Lord, the escapes to Egypt and to Nazareth turned out to be in fulfillment of prophecy. It is difficult for us to figure out what God is doing when we are going through very challenging circumstances. Here is a verse that we should all memorize and always refer to when we face challenging and very difficult circumstances.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Matthew 8:28
- Is there any other way this passage has spoken to your life today?
And we know that in all things God works
For the good of those who love him,
Who have been called according
To his purpose.
This verse is very encouraging
In light of the fact that
SOMETIMES IT APPEARS THE ENEMY IS WINNING.
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto