DEVOTION:THIS IS GREATNESS IN GOD’S EYES!
After Jesus had instructed John’s disciples on what to tell John the Baptist, He began questioning the crowd concerning John the Baptist.
As John’s disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes are in kings’ palaces. Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. Matthew 11:7-9
Before the crowd answered Him anything, Jesus went ahead and told them this about John the Baptist:
This is the one about whom it is written: I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way before you. Matthew 11:10
That John the Baptist was a prophet was not a surprise to many because they believed he was a prophet. But this additional information must have been a surprise to many. And as though this was not enough to surprise the crowd, Jesus added this:
Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist Matthew 11:11
Then he added this other comment:
And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. Matthew 11:14
1. John the Baptist did not look that great according to public opinion. For many he was just a prophet. But that he was the greatest man ever born, this must have stunned the crowd. So what is it that made John the Baptist the greatest among those born of women? I believe the following factors make John the Baptist great.
a. He was appointed by God as the forerunner of Our Lord Jesus Christ
b. He was obedient and faithful in fulfilling his pre-ordained assignment from God.
c. He never sought greatness or recognition among men. Instead, he was driven by the desire to fulfill his mission.
d. He did not seek to be popular or to dress well like many in high places/religious leaders.
e. He was faithful to the end of his life.
2. Every believer has a pre-ordained assignment from God. The question for you today is this: Are you in the process of fulfilling your assignment? Ponder over this verse:
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
3. If you have been obedient to begin your assignment, the question is this: are you still in the process of doing it? Or have you left it for something else. John the Baptist was faithful to the end.
4. But if whatever you do for the Lord is not recognized by anyone or if it looks too insignificant to many, take courage, God is not looking for those who are popular in the eyes of men, neither will God reward you based on what kind of service you did for Him, instead Your reward will be based on how faithful you are in fulfilling your assignment no matter what that is.
5. I am afraid there are believers who have left their God given/preordained assignment in order to do prestigious jobs that bring public recognition. Yet what is important for every believer is to be at the right place and doing exactly what God has assigned.
To be Obedience to your calling
To be Faithful in fulfilling
THIS IS GREATNESS IN GOD’S EYES!
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto