DEVOTION:DO YOU HAVE THIS KIND OF FAITH?
In our passage today, we encounter two miraculous signs performed by Our Lord Jesus Christ. Though these were extraordinary miracles, I am attracted by the faith of these two individuals. First we read:
While he was saying this, a synagogue leader came and knelt before him and said, “My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live.” Matthew 9:18
Notice the faith of this synagogue leader. He did not come to report that is daughter was dead. He came to look for Jesus because his daughter was dead. Let us read again what this man told Jesus.
My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live. Matthew 9:18b
Now this is an incredible faith. He believed Jesus can bring his daughter back to life just by a touch. This is Jesus’ response to his request:
Jesus got up and went with him, and so did his disciples. Matthew 9:19
Then this happened on the way:
Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak. She said to herself, “If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.” Matthew 9:20-21
Jesus turned and saw her. “Take heart, daughter,” he said, “your faith has healed you.” And the woman was healed at that moment.Matthew 9:22
Both of these individuals demonstrated incredible faith in Christ’s power to do anything. This woman believed that touching the edge of Jesus’ cloak would bring healing to her. And sure enough, Jesus acknowledged her faith and healed her instantly.
- How do you respond to challenging and difficult circumstances in your life?
- Do you begin imagining the worse?
- Do you find uncontrollable worry setting in?
- Do you begin to call on friends and tell them of your circumstances?
- If you have the faith similar to that of these two individuals, then you will go to God knowing that He is able to change your circumstances no matter how bad it is. These individuals had no doubt about the ability of Jesus to change their circumstances.
- Do you have any doubts concerning Jesus’ ability to change your circumstances?
- Are there things or issues in your life that you have set aside because you believe that God cannot do anything about them?
- How do you make judgment on those things that God can answer and those He cannot answer? In other words, what criteria do you use to separate these?
- The challenge we face concerning our prayers is this: God does not answer all our prayers all the time. He does not always change some of our most difficult circumstances. Because of this, some believers begin to doubt God. But their doubt is not about the ability of God to change their circumstances. Instead, it is about God’s willingness to change our circumstances.
- This calls for more understanding of how our God operates. According to Romans 8:28, God is never taken by surprised by what happens to us. In fact, anything that happens to His children happens because He has allowed it or has orchestrated it Himself for a purpose. Unfortunately for us, we are still going through a process of transformation, which will never end until we have been translated to eternity. This transformation sometimes is necessary for us to go through difficult circumstances in order for it to be accomplished its purpose.
- We must not lose sight of God’s ability to do anything. How has this impacted your life today?
Jesus turned and saw her.
Take heart, daughter,” he said,
“Your faith has healed you.”
And the woman was
Healed at that
DO YOU HAVE THIS KIND OF FAITH?
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto