GEF On-line Communication Short-Term Consultant
The Global Environment Facility (GEF) is a multilateral financial mechanism created in 1991 to provide grants and concessional funds in cofinancing to environmental projects of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. Since its establishment, the GEF has achieved a strong track record of providing $11.5 billion in grants and leveraging $57 billion in co-financing for over 3,215 projects in over 165 countries, making it the biggest public funder for the global environment.
Since June 2010, the GEF has expanded its presence on the social network, starting with Facebook, Youtube and Twitter, and later adding also Flickr and ISSUU. Currently the GEF Facebook and Twitter pages have about 7000 followers each.
As indicated in the new (draft) GEF communication strategy, the GEF EXT unit is aiming at consolidating and expanding its presence through social media. For this reason the GEF is seeking an online communication consultant who can develop content and manage the GEF’s social media channels as well as assisting in posting updates on the GEF’s official website.
Social Media & Website
- Help develop the overall social media strategy and design and implement social media campaigns as needed.
- Develop tweets and blog posts for Facebook, to be published on the GEF social media channels (prior EXT communication officers’ approval). Ensure that all posts meet standards for style, grammar, punctuation, spelling, typography, clarity, structure, accuracy and appropriateness.
- Assist EXT team in maintaining the website, developing content as needed and publishing it using the content management system Drupal. Ensure content consistency and compliance throughout all parts of the website.
- Develop a series of “DID YOU KNOW?” questions and answer that in a witty way can help to promote GEF mission and its results. To be posted on the website and on social media.
- Update the content for the GEF entry in Wikipedia. Ensure the content is consistent with one on the website and up to date.
- Manage the GEF’s Flickr account. Communicate with GEF Secretariat and GEF agencies to collect photos from their missions to countries and upload the photos following the GEF’s existing rules for creating title, description, tagging, album organizing.
- Search YouTube videos of GEF project and link them back to our channel and to our website.
- Maintain a keen eye on social media trends that affect the GEF; recommend strategies to take advantage of the trends or to avoid a negative impact to the GEF.
- Provide social media training and counsel to GEF Secretariat, developing new proposals on how the GEF could engage with youth.
- Analyze and report social media actions on a monthly basis for successes and new opportunities.
- Liaise with social media specialist/managers of partner agencies to seek opportunities in terms of exchanging posting materials.
- Ensure all publications are promoted on ISSUU and Google Book as well as on the GEF website.
- Assist the GEFEXT in the organization of the upcoming Fifth GEF Assembly.
- MA in Communication, Journalism, Humanities or related disciplines
- At least 2 years of professional experience in managing social media
- Good knowledge of web publishing
- Knowledge of video editing is a PLUS
- Superior writing and editing skills in English
- Good knowledge of Graphic Design software
- High attention to details
- Good organizational skill
- Ability to set priority and multitask
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative workplace
- Strong interest in Social media and new technologies.
IF INTERESTED,SEND EMAIL TO:[email protected]