DEVOTION:Where Is Your Heart?
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. Matthew 6:19
He warns of keeping treasures on earth because here on earth, it is not a secure place for moths and vermin will destroy. But not only these, thieves can access these treasures. Instead, Christ says:
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:20
Then He continues to give an additional motivation for keeping our treasures in Heaven.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21
Not only is this a motivation, it is the right way for believers to live. The Apostle Paul exhorts believers in the following statement.
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. Colossians 3:1-2
- Here is a fair question for you. Where is your heart? In order to answer this question honestly, you must check where you have invested heavily. Where have you invested your time, energy, and finances? Once you have discovered where you have invested, then and only then, will you know where your heart is focused.
- Why is it crucial to know where your heart is focused? This is crucial because what your heart is focused on is what you love the most. Remember what you love the most, is what you make time for. This means if investing here on earth is your priority, then that is where your passion and energy is focused. But if heaven is your focus then that is where your energy and passion will be invested.
- How then do you keep your treasure in heaven? By investing your energy, time, and finances in the work of God. By finances, I mean something beyond your tithes. Technically tithes do not belong to you. It belongs to God. Once you have given to God that which belongs to Him, He would like to know if you could share with Him what is yours. Now talk about investing in heaven! Anything beyond your tithes is truly an investment for eternity. Because you decide what to do with your 90%, this is when you demonstrate what is of most importance to you. Giving only the tithes and nothing beyond is being a legal giver – giving only according to what is required. Have you overcome this challenge in your Christian life?
- You have probably heard that we cannot take our money to heaven but we can send it ahead of us. We send it ahead of us by investing in the work of God here on earth. So, have you sent your money ahead of you to heaven? Remember when your time on earth comes to an end, you will not be able to take anything you possess to heaven. It is therefore wise that you begin sending it ahead of you.
- How else has this passage spoken to your life today? In what way has this lesson challenged, changed, or convicted you today? Is there anything that will change in the way you do things because of today’s lesson?
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
Where moths and vermin do not destroy,
Where thieves do not break in and steal.
For where your treasure is, there
Your heart will be also.
This is why
WHERE IS YOUR HEART?
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto