DEVOTION:What Have You Done Lately For The House Of God?
Nehemiah’s passion for the rebuilding of his nation Israel is truly amazing. In today’s language we can say, he went above and beyond the call of duty. As long as there was something that needed to be fixed, Nehemiah could not stop; he had to get it fixed. In this chapter, we saw a number of things that needed taken care of. Two of these concerned the house of God.
First, part of the house of God had been used as a storehouse for Tobiah the Ammonite.
Before this, Eliashib the priest had been put in charge of the storerooms of the house of our God. He was closely associated with Tobiah, and he had provided him with a large room formerly used to store the grain offerings and incense and temple articles, and also the tithes of grain, new wine and olive oil prescribed for the Levites, musicians and gatekeepers, as well as the contributions for the priests. Nehemiah 13:4-5
Secondly, the Levites and the Musicians had not been receiving their portions such that they had to abandon their duties at the house of God to work in their fields in order to provide for their families.
I also learned that the portions assigned to the Levites had not been given to them, and that all the Levites and musicians responsible for the service had gone back to their own fields. So I rebuked the officials and asked them, “Why is the house of God neglected?” Then I called them together and stationed them at their posts. Nehemiah 13:10-11
Since we examined how Nehemiah took care of these in the last two days, we will not go through them again. Suffice it to say that Nehemiah’s actions here are admirable and worth emulating as we serve the Lord.
Nehemiah would not see the house of the Lord in a bad condition and not do something about it.
1. When did you last do something in the house of the Lord?
2. How is the condition of your church building? Is there anything that needs to be fix? Is it something within your ability or means to fix?
a. Is there anything in your church that needs painting? E.g., roof, baseboards, etc.
b. Are the chairs in a bad condition that they need replacement?
c. Is the carpet or tiles need replacement?
d. Then like Nehemiah, do something about it. Fix it!
3. Are you aware of any misuse of the house of God? Is there any misappropriation of the properties of your church? Have you seen any abuse of God’s house or His belongings? If so, do something about it!
4. Has a Pastor or anyone serving in your church abandoned his or her duties in the house of God to find income somewhere else because there is a shortage of income in the Church? If so, what can you do about it?
5. How has this lesson today spoken to you? What will you do about it? Do you have an action plan?
Nehemiah could not see and overlook
What needed to be fixed in the House
Of The Lord. He fixed it!
How about you?
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE LATELY FOR THE HOUSE OF GOD?
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto