NINE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT MZEE OJWANG’
2. As a pupil at CMS primary in Pumwani, Nairobi, Mzee Ojwang’s favourite subject was mathematics.
3. He dropped out of Form Two due to financial constraints.
4. He is married to Augusta Wanjiru and together they have two children –Patricia Njeri and Michael Karira.
5. His family and that of Mama Kayai (Mary Khavere) are good friends in real life.
6. Mzee Ojwang worked as a technician at Mater Hospital for four years. Before then, he had worked at White Rose Dry Cleaners in Industrial Area.
7. He started acting for Darubini on Voice of Kenya (now Kenya Broadcasting Corporation) in 1980. The programme was discontinued in 1985 when Vitimbi started airing.
8. Mzee Ojwang’ has never spoken Dholuo despite the accent while on Vitimbi.
9. The stage name Ojwang’ came from a “good friend” of the comedian who upon retiring asked him not to forget him.