DEVOTION:GOD HEARS WHATEVER YOU SAY!
Not only does God hear what we say, but also whatever we say causes either positive or negative reactions in Heaven. In today’s passage, Malachi continues with his list of the evil practices of the people of Judah. One of these sins is what was found in their conversation.
The Lord complains that His people had wearied Him
You have wearied the Lord with your words. Malachi 2:17a
But His people did not admit they are guilty. Instead they ask how?
“How have we wearied him?” you ask. Malachi 2:17b
So the Lord gave this explanation on how they had wearied Him.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the Lord, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?” Malachi 2:17c
Notice that it is what they said about God that wearied Him. For what they were saying is a total misrepresentation of God’s character and his view of sin. This view of God was encouraging people to live in sin. This is because it gave the view that after all, God is pleased with those who do evil.
One of the purposes God chose the nation of Israel was so that the world will know Him through them. But in this case, this nation was totally misrepresenting Him to the world. And this was a very serious crime.
- Are you misrepresenting God in whatever you are saying about Him? If you misrepresent God in whatever you are saying about Him, then you are not only sinning against Him, but you are also causing others to sin. In this case, you deserve a double punishment. Therefore, watch what you said about Him.
- Do not claim anything you are not sure about God.
- Only say what scripture says about Him. Or to be more theologically correct, say whatever He says about Himself in His word, the Bible.
- It is okay to say, I do not know or I do not understand.
- It is better for you to seek answers from someone else instead of saying something that totally misrepresents God.
- Another clear lesson from this passage is this; whatever we said cause reactions in Heaven. The reactions can be either negative or positive. Here are some examples:
- Do you remember the parable of the rich fool told by our Lord Jesus Christ?
And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops. Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry. Luke 12:16-19
And here was the reaction from Heaven
But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself? Luke 12:20
- Another example is found in the book of Malachi, which we will encounter very soon.
Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, Malachi 3:16a
And here was the reaction in Heaven.
And the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name. Malachi 3:16b
- Here is a verse that should caution each one of us to think before we let anything come out of our mouths.
But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the Day of Judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matthew 12:36-37
- Are you struggling to control what comes out of your mouth? Here is a wonderful prayer that will solve this problem.
Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3
- In what other way has this passage spoken to you?
But I tell you that everyone will have to give account
On the Day
Of Judgment for every empty word they have spoken.
For by your words you will be acquitted,
And by your words you will be condemned.
GOD HEARS WHATEVER YOU SAY!
by Pastor Shadrack Ruto