DEVOTION:A SIGN OF HOPE FOR EVERYONE!
Sometime in the past months, I wrote a devotion titled, “In God, Hope Is Not Lost.” In today’s passage, we see a clear demonstration of this principle. In the midst of this genealogy of Our Lord Jesus Christ, some unusual names appear on the list.
Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of King David. Matthew 1:5-6
Did you see these names? May be you are not privy to these names. There are two women mentioned here. So what is so strange about these women? Both are foreigners meaning, they are not Jews. So what is the big deal about that? Jesus the Messiah was to come through the Jewish nation yet in this genealogy, we see names of foreigners.
So what is the significance of this? It shows that even before the messiah was born, God had demonstrated His desire to bring all the peoples of the earth to Himself.
This is exactly what He promised to Abraham.
I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you. Genesis 12:3
Abraham has become a blessing to all the peoples of the earth because through his descendant, Jesus Christ, the whole world has been, and is still being, blessed.
Take note of the statements in the heading for this genealogy.
This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham: Matthew 1:1
There is one more thing about one of these women. Rahab was a prostitute and yet after the transformation of her life, she received a blessing from the Lord. She became a mother of Boaz who married Ruth the other foreign woman. Boaz became the father of Obed who became the father of King David. This is an exciting, interesting, and beautiful story. It is a demonstration of God’s grace.
- One thing is clear from these two foreign women, Ruth and Rahab. God’s love is not restricted to only one nation. It is truly for the whole world. Our Lord Jesus Christ made the following declaration about the love of His Father.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- Another lesson that we must learn from this genealogy comes from Rahab. According to the culture then and even today, prostitutes were and still are the rejects in society. These people have hit rock bottom. They operate in the lowest class in society because of their moral standards. But when Rahab believed in the God of Israel, God turned her life around. Surely, there is hope for anyone in this world. All they need to do is call on God and their lives will never be the same.
- I am not sure where you stand spiritually before God. But just in case you have done all kinds of things that have made you think you are now a reject in God’s sight, take courage. God cares about you too! If He cared about a prostitute, He can turn your life around too. Turn around and run to God. Remember: In God, Hope Is Not Lost! He has the power to make you anew.
- This is also a warning as well as a rebuke for believers who have given up on those who are living a morally degraded life. There is hope for them in God. This hope is not in them. It is in God. Our role is to pray for them and give them a message of hope. Even if they argue or do not want to listen to you, continue giving them a message of hope. When they are too desperate enough, they will look for you or if they remember your words, they will call on God to rescue them.
- In what other ways has this passage spoken to you today?
Rahab, who was the prostitute, became the mother of Boaz
Boaz married Ruth who was another foreign woman
Ruth became the mother of Obed.
Obed became the father of King David.
This is an exciting, interesting, and beautiful story.
It is a demonstration of God’s grace.
Now read again the heading for this genealogy of Jesus
This is the genealogy of Jesus the messiah
The son of David,
The son of Abraham
Surely, This is
A SIGN OF HOPE FOR EVERYONE!
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto