George Thuo was poisoned-Six face murder charge

Six people will on Monday appear in court charged with murdering former Juja MP George Thuo. Investigations have revealed that he was poisoned.

Among the six suspects are the owner of Club Porkies Paul Wainaina, a waiter at the bar, a friend of Thuo’s only identified as Lubasi and a woman bar patron who bought Thuo a drink.

The four were last evening locked up at the Muthaiga and Runda police stations after they recorded statements. Thuo collapsed and died at the club in Thika on November 17 in mysterious circumstances.

CID headquarters in Nairobi took over the investigations from Thika CID, after the post mortem results revealed that Thuo may have been poisoned with a pesticide. The three were expected to record statements with the CID in Nairobi yesterday.

Detectives privy to the investigations said government analysts and pathologist Dr Peter Ndegwa as well as a Dr Gachie of Kenyatta National Hospital found traces of pesticide in Thuo’s liver and heart during the post mortem examination.

The two pathologists could not be reached for comment as they did not answer their phones. The sources said police will also question waiters and barmen on duty at Porkies on the fateful night.

The former chief whip in the Kibaki administration is said to have collapsed while out with friends at the club at around 9pm. He was then rushed to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Friends who were with him said before he collapsed, he was in good health and had not complained of any sickness. CID chief Ndegwa Muhoro, his deputy Gideon Kimilu and head of Serious Crimes Unit John Kariuki, who are authorised to speak about the investigations, could not be reached for a comment. Police in Thika had earlier recorded Wainaina’s statement. He recounted Thuo’s last moments in his bar.

Wainaina also told the Star of his last moments with Thuo. According to Wainaina, Thuo called him at around 7pm and asked where he was. Wainaina said he told him that he was at the bar.

Thuo said he was in Nairobi on the way to Thika and wanted to hang out with him and watch Formula One racing, Wainaina recalled. The former MP arrived at around 8pm with a friend and they sat at the counter.

Thuo looked to be in good health and did not complain of any illness, Wainaina said. He ordered a Tusker Malt beer but after 15 minutes, he said he needed to remove his vest as he was feeling hot.

Wainaina advised him to go into the office and remove his vest after which he returned to his seat. He said it was between 8.30 and 9pm that Thuo collapsed and hit his head on a table. He fell down, was picked up and rushed to Thika Nursing Home. Wainaina called Thuo’s wife.

Thuo was transferred to Aga Khan Hospital in Nairobi where he was pronounced dead at around 10 pm. After he lost the Juja parliamentary seat in April 2010 following a successful election petition by William Kabogo, Thuo went back into his matatu business.


Comment on the article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

%d bloggers like this: