DEVOTION:Do You Have Evidences In Your Life?
In our lesson yesterday, we learnt how the Samaritan woman turned into an evangelist. Today’s lesson comes from what happened to those who believed her testimony about Jesus. After hearing her testimony about Jesus, they went to see Him.
So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. John 4:40
And after hearing His teachings, the following happened.
And because of his words many more became believers. John 4:41
But then, those who had believed because of the testimony of the Samaritan woman said some very profound statements to her.
They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.” John 4:42
These Samaritans had gone to the next level in their faith. At first, They had heard and believed. But now they saw the Lord and He spoke to them face to face. This was not just seeing and listening, they experienced the presence of the Lord. That surely, is a unique experience.
Consequently, their faith was strengthened for they had now experienced the Lord. The truth became a reality to them. Or to state it differently, they encountered the Divine.
You can hear and believe the truth objectively because of the evidence given, but when you see and experience the truth in your life, your faith in this truth goes to another level.
For example, Moses believed in God before he was sent to Egypt, but his faith in God was not strong. But after he experienced the power of God through the miraculous signs He performed through God in Egypt, His faith in God skyrocketed.
His understanding of God had gone deeper than what his mother had taught him. In the same way, the faith of these Samaritans went beyond the testimony of the Samaritan woman.
1. Is your faith in God only based on what you have heard and read in the Bible or have you experienced the Lord in your life? The first experience is the experience of Salvation. This is when you receive a transformation from being a sinner to a child of God. This experience also results in a new life. Check what happens in your life according to the following verses
a. Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. John 5:24
b. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God. John 1:12
c. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 2 Corinthians 5:17
d. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
e. Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. John 14:23
2. In addition to or following your salvation experience, your walk with the Lord will grow deeper and deeper. You get to know Him intimately. This is when, you can say my Shepherd, my provider, My Shield, my guide, and even my friend. When you are able to call Him by these names, then your faith in God has gone beyond Salvation experience.
3. The other way of describing this is what comes as an outcome of the previous point. You cannot call God by the above names unless you have experienced Him in a particular way that causes you to describe Him as Shepherd, Guide, etc. My favorite description of this is, “A History with God”. So may I ask you this question: Do you have a history with God?
4. Apart from what the Bible says about God, do you have any other evidence about this God in your life? In other words, has the truth about God become a reality in your life? Do you have any evidence of God in your life?
5. Can you say your faith has grown from the day you gave your life to Christ? Can you say today that Christ is real in my life?
They said to the woman,
“We no longer believe just because of what you said;
Now we have heard for ourselves,
And we know that this man really
Is the Savior of the world.”
Can you say the same?
DO YOU HAVE EVIDENCE IN YOUR LIFE?
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto