Governor Jackson Mandago withdraws from push for referendum
Eldoret, Kenya: Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago has withdrawn from the push for a referendum that is being fronted by Council of Governors chairperson Isaac Rutto.
Addressing the press Wednesday, the governor said his decision was based on calls by the public that the plebiscite is not ideal.
He claimed that he changed his mind after realising that the plebiscite push by governors had been hijacked by ‘Okoa Kenya’ movement and is based on personal interests at the expense of county and national issues.
“CORD is a conglomeration of those who lost in 2013 elections and they are using the referendum agenda to look for a momentum for 2017 election and we shall not be party to their calls,” he said.
The governor, who was flanked by a section of County Assembly leaders, has been vocal on the need for a referendum in a bid to bargain for 45 per cent increment in budgetary allocation to counties.
Mandago dispelled allegations that he withdrew from the calls for the plebiscite after consultations with Deputy President William Ruto.
“The move is purely based on a personal view and Ruto’s position on referendum cannot influence my decision,” he added.