Police summon Bungoma touts, taxi operators after Ruto fiasco
The leaders of Bungoma’s touts and taxi operators have been summoned to explain why the DP was blocked during his tour on Monday.
Deputy President William Ruto was forced to change his route when a crowd stood in his way saying the Jubilee government had not kept its promises.
They chanted pro-NASA and ODM slogans, destroyed Jubilee campaign materials that had been given by Governor Kenneth’s Lusaka team and gave police a tough time as they tried to restore calm.
The Bungoma police station ODPD asked the leaders to appear on Tuesday morning, said Osman Simiyu the PSV operators chairman.
“Letters were sent to eight of us who include [managers] of the bus park. The OCPD said we should appear without fail,” Simiyu said at the station.
But he noted they were told they were going for a security meeting following the incident.
Among those who attended the meeting was deputy county commissioner George Lugo.
Lugo reportedly asked journalists to leave saying it was a closed-door meeting.
But sources in the meeting said the commissioner read the operators the riot act and warned against political violence and anarchy.
“This should be the last time [such an incident occurs]. Every politician should be allowed to sell his manifesto,” Lugo was quoted as saying.
He was also said to have asked for the names and details of all members of the matatu groups.
Sources close to Lusaka told the Star the DP will return to the county on Thursday.
“We are planning to have him back to commission two roads funded by the county,” said the source.