GOVT TO PROBE HOW MISTRESSES, JOYRIDERS GOT TICKETS TO RIO OLYMPICS

| August 18, 2016 | 0 Comments
President Uhuru Kenyatta with members of the Kenyan team who will take part in the 2016 Olympics games in Rio de Janeiro. PHOTO | PSCU

President Uhuru Kenyatta with members of the Kenyan team who will take part in the 2016 Olympics games in Rio de Janeiro. PHOTO | PSCU

President Uhuru Kenyatta with members of the Kenyan team who will take part in the 2016 Olympics games in Rio de Janeiro. PHOTO | PSCU

The government will launch investigation into the fiasco that has seen joyriders, including girlfriends and bodyguards of team officials travel to the Rio Olympics following reported mishaps.

Government spokesman Eric Kiraithe said the National Olympics Committee of Kenya (Nock) has been directed to provide a full list of the accredited athletes and officials.

The list, he said, will be made public and shared with Parliament.

“The mishaps in this Olympic season have been a disservice to our athletes and the legacy they have built over the years,” Mr Kiraithe said during a media briefing on Thursday

Mr Kiraithe said that American companyNike, which was contracted by Nock to deliver kits to the competing athletes, will henceforth share its contract with the national government to enable accountability.

The tough measures come in the wake of reports of shambolic management of travel arrangements and the stay of athletes and coaches in Rio de Janeiro.

On August 7, world javelin champion Julius Yego and athletics coaches, including team chaperone Catherine Ndereba, were stranded at the airport since they did not have tickets.

Last week, a coach was forced to fly back to Kenya after he was found using an accreditation pass meant for an athlete.

-nairobinews.nation.co.ke

Tags:

Category: EDITORIAL, NEWS

Leave a Reply