NAIROBI, Kenya Oct 21- One more body was recovered from the Westgate mall terror attack site on Sunday, bringing to four the number of bodies retrieved from the rubble since last week.
According to Interior and Coordination of National Government Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku, the body belongs to one of the four terrorists capturing on CCTV killing shoppers during the four-day siege that started on September 21.
Authorities are however, not certain on the identities of the three other bodies found last week.
“This week we recovered three bodies which we believe to be those of terror suspects, Today (Sunday) we recovered a fourth body, which we know from CCTV footage to be that of a terrorist,” Lenku said in statement issued from State House late Sunday. “DNA and other investigations will confirm their identities.”
“We have also recovered four AK47 assault rifles which we know were used by the terrorists in the assault. We also recovered 11 magazines of AK47 assault rifles,” he said.
Forensic experts are still searching for more bodies or any other clue to assist in their investigation.
“We continue to dig through the rubble at Westgate. We are determined to bring this chapter to a close by identifying the terrorists responsible for the attack, including those who planned it,” he added.
Initial statistics released by the government placed the death toll at 67 civilians, six security forces and five attackers.
It still remains unclear if the four bodies recovered at the weekend were part of the initial toll.
New CCTV footage released last week show four attackers shooting indiscriminately at shoppers and security guards in the expansive mall before they retreat to the first floor where they were seen reciting a Islamic prayer in turns.
Police have indicated they are likely to charge three to four suspects, still in custody, over the attack at the shopping mall that is blamed on Al Shabaab militants who have already claimed responsibility.-capitalfm.co.ke