Govt Distributes Relief Items to Mpeketoni Victims
Nairobi — The government through the Ministry of Devolution has disbursed emergency relief items to victims of the Mpeketoni attacks.
In a statement Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru indicated that the first consignment which consisted of food, blankets and other amenities have already been disbursed.
“We have demonstrated our commitment by distributing various food stuff and essential household support items that will go towards supporting the families that have been affected by the attacks in Mpeketoni, Lamu,” she said.
The first consignment of humanitarian assistance that has been released includes 1,500 blankets, 412 kitchen sets, 100 cartons of sanitary pads, 300 bags of maize, 800 bags of rice, 500 bags of beans, 100 cartons oil and100 cartons nutripap,” she indicated.
Waiguru further expressed the government’s commitment to continue working with the victims as they rebuild their lives.
“We are saddened and disturbed by the events that occurred in Mpeketoni, Lamu and take this opportunity to condemn the perpetrators of the vice that has sought to destabilize peace among peace-loving Kenyans,” she stressed.
“My ministry, through the department of Special Programs remains committed to ensuring that the dignity of all Kenyans is upheld at all times, and not just in instances of an emergency.”
President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday said that Authorities in Lamu were notified of impending politically motivated attacks but failed to act.
He said those who did not heed intelligence warnings had been suspended and would face charges in court.
He warned that the government will take action against any other officers who fail to perform their duties, as they abet commission of crimes in the country.
President Kenyatta remained categorical that the Al Shabaab was not involved in the killing of at least 60 people in Mpeketoni, but that a politically instigated network was responsible.
On Monday, Al Shabaab claimed responsibility over the killings, which the group said was a revenge attack for Kenya’s operation in Somalia as well as killing of Muslim clerics.
But according to Kenyatta, there was evidence to show that the attacks were politically motivated.
He further said that the government will not spare any people making inciting statements with a view of fuelling violence like the chaos witnessed in 2007/2008.
He expressed concern that negative statements were weakening Kenya’s war against terrorism.
He explained that security has been stepped up in Lamu following the two-day massacre.
He promised that the government would foot funeral expenses for the victims, fees for those in hospital and also assist those who lost their property rebuild their lives.