Waiguru to record statement over NYS scam
Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru will be required to record a statement over the Sh791 million National Youth Service (NYS) scandal.
Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko said the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) had commenced investigations into the scandal following a request by Ms Waiguru.
“However, the CS has not recorded a statement regarding this matter. It is important that the CS records a statement,” the DPP said in a press statement Friday.
Last week, Mr Tobiko received the file containing the names of the individuals alleged to be behind the scandal from the DCI.
On Friday, Mr Tobiko said several aspects of fraud raised in the file fall under the mandate of the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Agency (EACC).
“I have therefore directed the EACC be invited to join the prosecution team to participate in the review of the file in order to determine matters falling under its legal mandate,” the DPP stated.
The names in the file include that of NYS Deputy Director-General Adan Harakhe and 23 others.
In its report, the DCI has recommended that the directors of Form Homes Builders, Reinforced Concrete Technologies and Roof and All Traders be charged with fraud.
The directorate also wants Ms Regina Nyambura Mungai to be charged with fraudulent accounting and forgery of local purchase orders.
Apart from Mr Harakhe, other senior Devolution Ministry officials whom the DCI wants charged with stealing Sh791 million are Mr Joel Kanyi Karenju, Mr Francis Kariuki, Ms Jennifer Manyara Mugure and Ms Roda Kavu Makau.
Other NYS officials who face charges are Ms Josephine Kaburu Irungu, Mr Peter Omari Otuoma, Mr Ben Gethi, Mr Samuel Wachenje, Mr Hendrick Nyongesa Pilisi, and Mr Naftaly Githinji.
Ms Waiguru, who first revealed the names, said investigations showed that Sh791 million was lost in the suspicious dealings.
The dealings came to light after the Central Bank raised the red flag over huge sums of money paid to private companies by the NYS.