Paul Kobia tries to attack magistrate, says he was dragged to court despite ill health

0 28

Businessman Paul Kobia causes drama in court in a protest against being dragged there from hospital to face kidnapping charges, March 27, 2017. /COURTESY

Controversial businessman Paul Kobia threw a tantrum, wailed and attempted to attack the chief magistrate in a packed court on Monday.

- Advertisement -

Kobia was arraigned over allegations that he and his four bodyguards kidnapped Congolese businessman Blanchard LOndole and assaulted him.

He did not appear on March 24 as his lawyer said he had been hosptialised after an accident. Milimani chief magistrate Francis Andayi issued summons as the lawyer did not produce documents supporting this claim.

Court orderlies blocked Kobia but he told the magistrate: “Listen to me, your honour, this court is unfair to me.”

“Why have I been taken out of a hospital bed to attend court?” he asked while fighting the orderlies.

The drama continued outside the cells when the wives of Kobia’s bodyguards blamed him for their troubles.

The four – Alvin AnZaya, Nelson Muyi, John Mutwiri and Martin Mwangi – denied the charges and were all granted Sh500,000 cash bail or Sh800,000 bond.

Kobia did not take plea and was ordered to rest for two weeks; he will return to court on April 20 should his health have improved.

The businessman, who was released on Sh100,000 bond, will plead to charges of kidnapping, assault and public disorder.

Source link-the-star.co.ke

Comment on the article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

%d bloggers like this: