How to Boost your Self Confidence
How to Boost your Self Confidence: As one Barrie Davenport aptly states, low self-confidence is not a life sentence. Self-confidence can be learned, practiced, and mastered – just like any other skill. Once you have mastered it, everything in your life will change for the better.
And here is a hard fact; you cannot afford to live with low confidence, because doing so is like driving a car with a handbrake. Confidence will help you to chase away mediocrity, to get great positive results, to acquire high level self-acceptance, to feel sharper, to become even cleverer, and to be more unique and passionate.
So, here are seven tips on how you can build your self-confidence:
1. Visualize a Higher Version of Who You Want to Become: Envisage a positive image about yourself. If you envision yourself as a top performer, you will eventually become a top performer. And just as Napoleon once said, what your mind conceives and believes, the same mind will achieve it. This is all about the power of perception.
2. Learn and Do something New: Take a risk and explore new things, new targets, smile differently, work differently. People who don’t change become salty. Change the restaurant where you take your lunch, go ahead and change your residence.
3. Affirm yourself: How do you view yourself? This is a very key question towards your confidence building journey. Self-affirmation is simply the recognition and proclamation of the existence and value of an individual self. Keep telling yourself good and positive things. Keep mining the best attributes out of yourself. I am a great person, I am the best that there is, I am a winner, I am extremely handsome, I am amazingly beautiful. Ultimately, you will condition your brain to think and act with this kind of positivity. And when success comes as a result of this positive attitude, take time to celebrate, however minimal this success seems.
4. Face your Fears Head On: How about you write down on a piece of paper, all the things that you fear most in life. Once you have listed your fears, the next level is now to confront them, one by one. Just like Judy Blume puts it succinctly, “Each of us must confront our own fears, must come face to face with them. How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. To experience adventure or to be limited by the fear of it.”
5. Don’t Compare Yourself with Other People: The worst thing that you can ever do to yourself is to compare yourself with another person. You have to always remember that you are the only version of yourself in the whole world. There is no other person like you, who has ever lived or who will ever live. Again, your sun will rise at its appropriate time, different from the other person. Thus, it is wise to avoid unnecessary competition with your peers, with your colleagues, with your family members. You better learn to compete with only one person in life – yourself
6. Create personal boundaries: Never allow people to define you or your capacity. Be assertive and learn to go for what you want in life without seeking the approval of everyone around you. Have a total control of your life and break the chains of unrealistic societal expectations that will always turn into a frustrating mirage chase.
7. Care for yourself: Taking care of your physical self, is important. Exercise more regularly. Be up by 4am and exercise in the morning. Check your sleeping habits too; sleeping early is always a good habit that will offer your body, enough time to relax. Again, always dress the part. This will result to a feel-good effect that will translate to very good levels of self-confidence. Take care too of your emotional and social health; always try to avoid people who are always negative, the energy suckers.
Practice these seven tips religiously, for herein lies the magic of boosting your self-confidence to levels that you have never envisaged.
Thoughts by: George Wachiuri: A Leading Entrepreneur, a Published Author, Philanthropist, Youth Empowerment Enthusiast, a Family man and CEO of Optiven Group