Big blow to Uhuru/ Ruto as ICC Witnesses reject Arusha venue

Tuesday February 5, 2013 – Deputy Prime Minister Uluru Kenyatta and Eldoret North MP received a major blow on Monday, after International Criminal Court (ICC) witnesses rejected a proposal to move their cases from The Hague to Arusha, Tanzania.

The witnesses said they would not be willing to testify in Arusha for fear of their security.
“We have learnt of the plan with surprise and we will not support it because it obviously puts our security at risk,” said one of the witnesses who is hiding in one of the European capital.
Last week the ICC asked Tanzania, Kenya and the International Criminal Court Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) to make submissions on whether the Kenyan cases can be heard in Arusha
The Trial ChamberV Judges led by Japanese Judge Kuniko Ozaki also wrote to ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, legal representatives for the victims and the ICC registry asking them for their opinions.
The Trials of DPM Uhuru Kenyatta, Eldoret North MP William Ruto, former Head of Civil Service Francis Muthaura and broadcaster Joshua Sang are due to start on April 10 and 11.
The four have been charged with committing crimes against humanity arising out of the post election violence in 2007-08.
Source:The Kenyan DAILY POST

Comment on the article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

%d bloggers like this: