UN condemns Bungoma and Busia killings, urge Govt to act

0
Deputy President William Ruto is received by security chiefs at the St Patrick Pastoral Centre, Bungoma County May 10, 2013. Mr Ruto held a meeting with the police bosses to address insecurity in the volatile region. The UN condemned the killings in the area. DPPS

The United Nations has condemned the killings in Bungoma and Busia Counties and urged the government to act.

The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator Modibo Toure said he was saddened by the deaths of 10 people, including women and children and the over 100 others seriously injured.

“Cognisant of the recent security incidents in Tana River County, he (Toure) would like to urge the Government to take appropriate action to promptly stem the insecurity in Busia and Bungoma, in line with applicable international and domestic standards on protection of civilians and respect for human rights,” read a statement from his office Friday.

Mr Toure regretted that the lives of Bungoma and Busia residents had been disrupted and day-to-day affected due to the high tension in the counties.

“He would also like to urge the government to ensure the provision of assistance to the affected people and support them in rebuilding their livelihoods,” the statement said.

Mr Toure, however, acknowledged efforts by the government and other local peace and response initiatives and said he would continue to monitor closely the developments in Bungoma and Busia.

His sentiments came on the day Deputy President William Ruto visited the volatile region.

Mr Ruto demanded to know what measures provincial and county security teams in western Kenya had done to stem the attacks.

Source:nation.co.ke

- Advertisement -

Comment on the article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

%d bloggers like this: