Francis Kimemia cleared of corruption allegations for lack of evidence

KimemiaKenya: Former Secretary to the Cabinet Francis Kimemia has been cleared of corruption allegations.

Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission sent his file to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) with recommendations for closure for lack of evidence.

DPP Keriako Tobiko confirmed he had received the file.

“It’s true DPP that I have received a file from EACC on Francis Kimemia recommending closure for lack of evidence,” said Tobiko. Kimemia is among Cabinet Secretaries, who had been suspended for being linked to corruption.

He has since been replaced even before his case was determined.

Ms Monica Juma is slated to take over as the Secretary to the Cabinet.

Kimemia said he was happy with the EACC verdict.

“Our Lord is good and that is the best news I have received. Thanks and we thank God,” he told The Standard.

Kimemia had been mentioned in connection with irregularities in awarding of a tender valued at Sh1 billion at the Ministry of Interior and National Coordination.

He vehemently denied the claims, saying at that time (in 2014), he had not joined the Interior ministry.

Kimemia, Kenya’s Ambassador to Tanzania Chirau Mwakwere, and Investment Secretary Esther Koimett, were accused of using their positions to deprive former employees of Kenya Railways Corporation of houses that had been set aside for them under the tenant purchase scheme.

Allegations against Kimemia indicate that in 2006, while he was the PS Interior Ministry, an inter-ministerial committee approved that seven per cent of the corporation’s non-strategic assets in Nairobi of an estimated value of Sh5 billon, be sold to employees that were in occupation.

On Friday, Tobiko also closed a file on Siaya Senator James Orengo in which he had been accused of grabbing land.

-standardmedia.co.ke

 

Comment on the article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.