Uhuru Ruto stay off City Hall for fear of heckling by CORD MCA’s
The expected grand opening of the Nairobi County assembly chambers on Tuesday has been called off after the chief guest President Uhuru Kenyatta made a last minute cancellation.
His deputy William Ruto, who was scheduled to stand in for the Head of State, also was a no-show after what sources said some Cord MCAs had threatened to stage a walk out.
MR ODINGA NOT INVITED
The MCAs had warned they would heckle the Jubilee leaders because opposition leader Raila Odinga had not been invited.
President Kenyatta cancelled the event to attend the Igad meeting on South Sudan that is being held in Juba today.
The new Chambers, which had been renovated as a replica of the National Assembly, was to be officiated by the president Kenyatta. Public Accounts chairman Robert Mbatia said that the changes on guests had delayed the event.
A source from City Hall, who is not allowed to talk to the media, said that President Kenyatta had called in the morning saying he was busy.
CLOSED DOOR MEETING
He said Health Secretary Cleopa Mailu had been sent to open the new Chambers. However, the Jubilee MCAs were still held in a closed door meeting to discuss the opening.
They threatened boycotted a luncheon scheduled at the Intercontinental Hotel.