Sonko: Jubilee Party plotting to lock me out of nominations
Nairobi Senator Mike Sonko has claimed that there is a plot to lock him out of the forthcoming Jubilee Party nominations. Sonko says his suspicion is informed by what he see as a deliberate delay in issuing a certificate of good conduct by CID headquarters and demand that he furnishes JP with his original KCSE certificate.
The flamboyant senator says he applied for the good conduct certificate over a week ago through the online application system but the cops are yet to acknowledge or respond. He told The Standard that a senior official at Office of the President has given instructions to police to deny him the crucial document ahead of Friday’s deadline set by Jubilee for aspirants to pick nomination papers.
“There is a senior official at OP who is behind all this; I am told the system and some top party officials have plotted to lock me out of the JP nomination,” Sonko protested. Sonko wondered why police were hesitant to clear him yet he had been given the same document in 2010 when he was first elected MP for Makadara and 2013 to contest for Nairobi senate.
“I know some people are hell bent to block me from contesting and I will be reaching to the President to register my frustrations,” he added.
On the academic papers, the senator said he did his form four at Kwale High School in 1992, dismissing claims that he is a form two drop out. “My papers are in order from form four, Diploma and up to my degree,” the legislator who graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Methodist University said.
The senator now says if pushed, he has other options left but ruled our running as an independent candidate. Jubilee Party Vice chairman David Murathe has however denied any plot to lock out Sonko, saying the party only requires him to fulfil requirements as set out by IEBC. “Has Sonko brought his papers and turned away? As a party we will give everyone including Sonko a chance to contest any seat,” Murathe added.