William Kabogo hints at going independent in August
Kiambu Governor William Kabogo on Wednesday spoke for the first time since his defeat in the Jubilee Party primaries, saying he will make a major political announcement in a week’s time.
Mr Kabogo spoke to reporters after inspecting construction of a modern reproductive health unit at Thika Level 5 Hospital in his first public appearance after losing the Jubilee ticket to his arch-rival Kabete MP Ferdinand Waititu.
He said the planned announcement will include details on whether he will be seeking to defend his seat as an independent candidate as his supporters want him to.
“My supporters have been pushing me to vie, lakini ningali natulia, niko holiday ya wiki moja, I will clear all that next week,” he said.
Mr Waititu won the Jubilee ticket after garnering 358,604 votes against Kabogo’s 69,916.
Mr Kabogo, who was accompanied by his deputy Gerald Githinji, also dismissed as mere rumours allegations that he intends to join a team of politicians who lost in last week’s Jubilee nominations to form a movement that will seek to give independent candidates a voice.
The governor said he was proud of the accomplishments his government had made especially in health.
“Kiambu has been rated amongst the best counties in terms of health care, we want to maintain that lead,” said Mr Kabogo.
He said if all goes well, the reproductive health unit will be operational by the first week of June.