Uhuru Kenyatta orders release of Migori heckling suspects
He made the order on Thursday during a meeting with a delegation of over 300 people from Migori County.
“Those youths deserve a chance in life, let them be freed to see the opportunities we are creating for them. I forgive all the young men involved in the heckling and I have asked that they be freed,” said President Kenyatta in quotes published on State House’s Twitter handle.
“It is good to differ, even God wanted it that way, otherwise we would be robots.”
Rowdy youths heckled and threw chairs and shoes towards the dais during the function at the Migori Primary School grounds. The meeting was concluded in a hurry following the chaos.
Police claimed that the heckling youths had been hired by a local politician, and said all those involved would be arrested once investigations had been conducted.
Suna East MP Junet Mohamed on Monday afternoon recorded a statement at the Migori County police headquarters over the chaos.
The President, at the State House meeting with the delegation, blamed unnamed leaders for organising the chaos that disrupted the Migori function.
“I do not blame the people of Migori, this was caused by a few leaders who believe we are still in the stone age. To the two or three who financed the violence we tell them we are in the 21st century,” he said.
He added: “I have nothing to forgive. I know the residents of Migori had no problem,walitukaribisha roho safi (they welcomed us with a clean heart).”
The delegation from Migori County met President Kenyatta to apologize over the chaos that disrupted the Migori rally.