Moses Kuria loses bid to block bond cancellation

0

Moses KuriaGatundu South MP Moses Kuria has lost a bid to block an application by Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko to cancel his bond over hate speech remarks.

His application to block Mr Tobiko’s affidavit was rejected by a Nairobi court on Friday.

Mr Tobiko is seeking to have the Sh2 million bond cancelled, accusing the MP of breaching a “conciliation pact” when he allegedly incited youth to attack and “slash” politicians opposed to NYS projects in Nyeri County.

- Advertisement -

“The panga remarks”, as they are now referred to in court, were allegedly captured and aired on national television after the MP addressed youths in his constituency recently.

Mr Tobiko, in an affidavit before the court, says while the politician implored the youth to “come with your pangas”, and also said “pangas are not just for cutting weeds only.”

PENDING TRIAL

Mr Kuria had been restrained, as a condition for his release pending trial, “to desist from making statements that amount to incitement to violence and ethnic hatred pending the outcome of the case.”

The prosecution has annexed a forensic transcript of the recent remarks he made in his Gatundu South Constituency.

But Mr Kuria opposed Mr Tobiko’s application and accused public prosecutions boss of playing politics with his case.

He claimed he is being targeted because he holds an elective office.

Lawyer Danson Mungatana for Mr Kuria told the court that there are “extraneous forces” exerting pressure on Mr Tobiko to have his bond cancelled.

-nation.co.ke

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comment on the article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: