spot_img
Thursday, April 3, 2025
spot_img
spot_img

U.S. ‘Presidential Test Alert’ Buzzes American Phones

U.S. 'Presidential Test Alert' Buzzes American Phones
U.S. ‘Presidential Test Alert’ Buzzes American Phones

WASHINGTON, Oct 3 (Reuters) – The Federal Emergency Management Agency sent an alert aimed at tens of millions of U.S. mobile phones on Wednesday to test a presidential alert system that would warn the public in the event of a national emergency.

The test message from the previously unused alert system was originally scheduled for September but was pushed back to 2:18 p.m. EDT (1818 GMT) on Wednesday.

- Advertisement -

The alert triggered a loud tone on phones, a special vibration and a message reading: “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”

A separate alert on television and radios was issued at 2:20 p.m. EDT.

Federal officials said President Donald Trump was not personally involved in sending the test alert. Such presidential alerts would be sent in the event of a pending missile attack or other national emergency, and U.S. cellphone users are not able opt out of them.

- Advertisement -

Officials said they expected the alert would go to up to 225 million U.S. mobile phones but would not reach all phones for a variety of reasons. Some people reported not getting the alerts or getting them on a delayed basis.

The test alert was the most discussed topic on Twitter. The tests have drawn a lot of attention on social media in part because of Trump’s propensity for sending tweets to his 55 million followers.

On a conference call on Tuesday, government officials told reporters Trump would not personally trigger the alert – from his phone or any other device – and emphasized that no president could “wake up one morning and attempt to send a personal message.”

The test alert was sent by a device similar to a laptop from a FEMA laboratory.

Earlier on Wednesday, a federal judge in New York rejected a request to block the test in a lawsuit filed last month by three New York residents.

Source-msn.com

U.S. ‘Presidential Test Alert’ Buzzes American Phones

Comment on the article

- Advertisement -spot_img
spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles