Applying It Is The Most Elusive Action!
In the preceding verses, we learned that worry does absolutely nothing for us. In today’s passage, Christ gives us another reason why we shouldn’t worry. To help us understand this point, He begins with this question.
And why do you worry about clothes? Matthew 6:28a
Then He gives this illustration, which demonstrates why we should not worry about clothes.
See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. Matthew 6:28b-29
What is the point? The flowers are well dress that even King Solomon in his entire splendor was not able to dress like the lilies of the field. Why? This is because God clothes the flowers. For this reason, Christ pauses the following question.
If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? Matthew 6:30
Christ’s point is clear. If God can clothe flowers, which are here today, and tomorrow they are gone, He will do more for us who last longer than the flowers of the field. This truth about flowers, should teach us to trust God for our needs instead of being worried. The conclusion is this: Failure to trust God for our needs demonstrate that we have a little faith in our God.
Because we have such a God, Christ says:
So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear? Matthew6:31
For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. Matthew6:32
- This is a comforting truth for every believer. God knows what you need. And if he does, then you should not worry about it. But if this is the truth, why do you worry about your needs?
- The pagans worry about their needs; food, clothes, what to drink, and clothes because they do not have anyone who cares and is able to provide for them. But believers are privileged for God not only cares about us, He knows what we need before we even tell Him. It does not make sense for believers to worry. And if they do, then this is a demonstration for luck of trust in God. One of my favorite hymns says it all.
Trust and obey for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey.
- Has God provided something for you that you wonder why He did it at that particular moment, and then later it became clear why God provided for you? This is because He knows what you need even before the need arises. So because He loves us, He goes ahead and provides in advance. So if God has recently blessed you beyond your present needs, do not worry, in due time, you will know why He has done this for you.
- Next time you have a pressing need, your response should be; God knows about this need and He is working on meeting this need for me. Then begin to praise Him for this kind of care you have in Him. Thank Him for what He is working on to meet not only this need but other needs that He knows you need even though they have not arisen yet.
- How else has this passage spoken to your life today? Is there any other way you can apply it to your life?
So do not worry, saying,
‘What shall we eat?’ or
‘What shall we drink?’ or
‘What shall we wear?’
For the pagans run after all these things,
And your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
This is a Powerful Truth
APPLYING IT IS THE MOST ELUSIVE ACTION!
By Pastor Shadrack Ruto