Monday, May 27, 2024

Baby Osinya leaves hospital after bullet surgery

Baby Satrine Osinya was Thursday discharged from Kenyatta National Hospital after what doctors termed as a remarkable and successful treatment following the removal of a bullet in his head.

Baby Satrine was injured when gunmen opened fire at a church in Likoni, Mombasa on March 23, killing his mother Veronica Akinyi and other worshippers.

And as if to affirm that he was a healthy and radiant toddler, from the hospitals wards, Satrine walked towards the cameras waving ‘good-bye’ to those who had followed the progress of the toddler.

- Advertisement -

The symbolic wave from the toddler was an emotional moment as the KNH medical team, journalists and patients awaiting treatment at the health facility took a minute to admire the resilience of the toddler who caught national headlines after the Likoni incident in Mombasa County.

Not too far was his elder brother, Gift, whom Satrine was pulling his hand encouraging him to walk towards the cameras, almost, assuring him that it was okay to pose for the press.

The medical team that operated on baby Satrine and the hospital management, including KNH chief executive Lily Koros, watched him walk away from the set location of the press briefing, stealing the hearts of onlookers that had followed his recovery.

- Advertisement -

“We are delighted that baby Satrine has shown remarkable improvement and today has been discharged to go home,” said KNH boss Lily Koros.

Let’s continue praying for Satrine and his brother are going to a home without their mother, Ms Koros added.

As the media briefing continued, Satrine grew restless and with his father’s phone in hand, walked away, keen to discover the grounds that had been his home as he underwent treatment.

Ms Koros thanked partners and well-wishers who contributed in one way or the other to ensure Satrine accessed the critical treatment.

Part of the team of doctors and nursing teams that handled baby Satrine was also present saying he was stable to go home.

“Satrine is healthy and fit to go home and play though he will be monitored once a week at the KNH neurosurgical clinic every Monday afternoon to assess healing,” said Dr Kiboi who was also flanked by Dr Chris Musau and Dr Gichuru Mwangi.

According to the hospital management, the accrued hospital bill of Sh170,000 will be settled by government as earlier promised.

Satrine’s father, Benson Osinya, also extended appreciation to both individuals and corporates that enabled his injured son seek medical assistance.

“We are also undergoing counselling to help us deal with the drastic events,” Mr Osinya said.

Mr Osinya whose wife Veronica Akinyi died from a bullet shielding her son said he had forgiven the attackers and chooses to concentrate on taking care of his children.

“Though my wife’s death has left a gap in my life, I forgive those who attacked the church,” Benson said.

As his father addressed journalists, Satrine beckoned to be carried by his father and upon doing so, he reached out for one of the microphones, as if he wanted to continue with the interview.

“Ni yangu,” Satrine said into the microphone before his father continued with the interview.

“I extend my gratitude to the Coast medical team, Amref Flying doctors, Kenyatta National Hospital and all well-wishers who have walked with us during these tough times,” Benson said.

Benson could not confirm the status of job offers adding that he had been overwhelmed by his son’s surgery and his wife’s burial in Busia.

“I am yet to find out whether the job offers are valid but I intend to spend at least three days in Nairobi before I leave for Mombasa to put everything in offer,” Benson said adding a job offer was welcome to enable him support his family.

At the KNH Casualty parking, Gift carried his brother to the private car, similar to the Sunday incident when he had carried his younger brother to hospital.

Young Osinya bid onlookers ‘bye’, unaware that in the hearts of many, he was a symbol of perseverance and hope.
Benson Osinya (on phone) with his son Satrine Osinya outside Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi on April 10, 2014 soon after the young Osinya was discharged. DENISH OCHIENG

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles