The clashes in Nadome Village have also left about 350 families displaced and are currently camping in Nabokut and Nasoret.
“After a long trek to the scene, our team on the ground has reported 54 people dead. Five critical cases (have been) evacuated to hospital,” said the organisation on its Twitter page on Wednesday, adding that at least 400 goats were stolen in the raid.
The organisation added its rescue team was also preparing to depart Loyangalani with a young patient who needs specialised treatment in Nairobi.
The Kenya Red Cross update on the clashes between Turkana and Pokot pastoralists contradicts information given earlier by Mr Peter Pamba, the officer leading Administration Police in the operation, who said the police had found no bodies and therefore no killings had occurred.
“We were at the scene but did not see anything,” he had told Nation.co.ke on Tuesday evening after reports claimed that 46 people had been killed in a bandit raid. “We will continue with the operation tomorrow (Wednesday),” said Mr Pamba.
Rift Valley Regional Commissioner Osman Warfa had said 46 people were killed in the attack.