The Kenyan passport application process has new rules, but the procedure for application remains the same. Applicants will only visit the Immigration department for biometric registration after completing the online process.
The Immigration department will roll out new passports (e-passports) embedded with a chip by September 2017. You can now apply for, replace, renew and pay for your passport online by using either mobile money such as Mpesa or credit and debit cards.
The Kenyan passport application process waiting period has now been reduced to 10 Days thanks to the Department of Immigration through the eCitizen Portal. It is also possible to track your application online through the use of a tracking number and SMS service.
You need to have an eCitizen account in order to access this service, or you can create one by following the steps below.
How to create an eCitizen Account
To sign up for this account, you need an email address, a phone number and a passport sized photo for verification. Visit the eCitizen website.
- Select eCitizen Kenyan Citizen and click create account
- Enter your National Id number and First Name
- Click verify.
- Enter your email address and password and click Continue
- Enter your phone number and verify by entering the code sent via SMS
- Upload your Photo and you are good to go.